Civil Defence on the West Coast
What is the Civil Defence Emergency Management Group (CDEM) Group
All four councils on the West Coast make up the West Coast CDEM Group.
- West Coast Regional Council
- Buller District Council
- Grey District Council
- Westland District Council
The aim of the West Coast CDEM Group is to:
- Coordinate all planning activities related to hazard and emergency management
- Encourage cooperation and joint action within the region
- Determine the aspirations of our community
- Examine the risks that hazards may pose and prioritise each hazard
To provide a coordinated and integrated approach to the way significant risks and hazards are managed in the West Coast region across the 4R’s in accordance with the Act:
The Governance of the Group is provided by a Joint Committee of elected representatives from the region’s four councils.
An important supporting team for the Civil Defence Emergency Management Group (CDEMG) is the Coordinating Executive Group (CEG), a statutory mandated committee made up of the CEOs (or their representative) of the four local authorities, Fire Service, Police, District Health Board, Medical Officer of Health and the Group Controller.
The CEG is responsible to the CDEM Group for:
- Providing advice to the CDEM Group and any subgroups or subcommittees of the CDEM Group
- Implementing, as appropriate, the decisions of the CDEM Group
- Overseeing the implementation, development, maintenance, monitoring, and evaluation of the CDEM Group Plan and annual work plans
- Monitoring the performance and effectiveness of any agreement or contracts that the Group may enter into for the provision of goods and services