West Coast Civil Defence Emergency Management has practical advice for our residents in the aftermath of the recent heavy rain event.

29 Mar 2019 12:20 pm

A Community Information Centre has been established at the I-Site in Hokitika if you would like to ask about further assistance, or if you need assistance with emergency accommodation.

Reminder: All those who have evacuated are asked to register at the Hokitika I-Site centre.

This is important – it means we know who has evacuated and/or needs ongoing assistance and can contact you about getting you back home when the time comes.

If your home has suffered structural damage, or you are not able to stay in your home because of the damage, Please contact your local District Council to arrange an inspection and some assistance to find alternative accommodation.

WESTLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL 0800 474 834 (8.30am-4.30pm Monday to Friday)

You should also contact your insurance company. If it’s not possible to arrange an immediate visit from your insurance assessor, take photographs or video before you begin to move and discard damaged property.

If your home has been flooded, you should arrange for an electrician to check your wiring etc. before you turn your power back on.

Where to turn for help

The extreme weather and floods have affected many people and it’s completely normal for you and your family to be emotionally and physically exhausted.

Remember, in an emergency, always call 111. If you are unwell but it is not urgent, contact your local GP or community health centre.  You can also call Healthline 0800 611 116, this is a 24/7 service staffed by qualified nurses.

If you are feeling stressed and anxious or you need some advice, then there are places you can go for some support, listed below:

Taking care of our Wellbeing 

Major events affect each of us differently – we all need a bit of support from time-to-time! Following a major event, most people will benefit from being able to talk to someone about it and to share how they are feeling as a consequence of that event. For most people, talking with friends, family, neighbours and / or colleagues will be enough to help ease the immediate fears or worries and identify some things that will help.

There are small things we can do to look after ourselves and others, when times are tough.

Be mindful of your children and young people

The Five Ways of wellbeing is very helpful for maintaining our wellbeing.

If you or someone you know is struggling, there is help available.

Free call or text 1737 any time, 24 hours a day.

Contact your GP for any physical or mental health needs.

Contact the DHB if you or someone you know is needing mental health crisis support 

Benefits and Payments

There are lots of ways the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) can help and they can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don’t have to be on a benefit to be eligible, though you may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

MSD can help if, because of the weather event, you have:

Everyone’s circumstances are different so what you may be able to get depends on your situation.

Call 0800 559 009 during business hours for more information.

Tenancy Information

If you are a tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations at www.tenancy.govt.nz or by calling 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Support for Rural Communities

Rural Support Trusts have local people trained to offer assistance and support and their help is free and confidential. Call 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP) or visit www.rural-support.org.nz.

If you need help on the farm, please contact Federated Farmers on 0800 327 646.

Insurance and Lodging an EQC Claim

If your home, contents or car has been damaged by flooding, take some photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. Your insurance company will let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and how EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure and weather tight, please record the work done, take photos and keep a copy of the bills paid.

You can make an EQC claim online at www.ecq.govt.nz/claims or call 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243).

Cleaning Your Property After Flooding

Cleaning the Kitchen Area

Everything you use for food preparation and eating will need to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before you can use it again.

Dealing with Food After Flooding

Stay up to date on www.westcoastemergency.govt.nz and www.facebook.com/emergencywestcoast